On Saturday night, Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov vs Joe Cordina will be fighting in an attempt to defend his IBF super featherweight championship.
When Joe Cordina faces Shavkatdzh Rakhimov in Cardiff, he will be aiming to defend his title as the IBF super featherweight champion. Shavkatdzh Rakhimov will be his opponent.
Cordina initially earned the belt when he decisively knocked out Kenichi Ogawa in June of last year; however, a subsequent hand injury caused the Welshman to be stripped of the championship, and Rakhimov was declared the new champion around the end of last year.
Now, Cordina will want to recapture the same sentiments that she had on that night in June when she faces Rakhimov, who will be a significant challenge.
Date and time of Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov vs Joe Cordina Fight
- Date: Saturday, April 22
- Start time: 7 p.m. BST | 2 p.m. ET
- Main event ring walks (approx): 10:47 p.m. BST | 5:47 p.m. ET
The event is planned to begin at 7 p.m. BST, which is equivalent to 2 p.m. ET, while the ring walks for the main event are slated to take place at 10:47 p.m. BST, which is equivalent to 5 p.m. ET. These times are subject to change depending on how long the fights on the undercard take.
How to watch Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov vs Joe Cordina live
Live Broadcast: Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov vs Joe Cordina Live
Where Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov vs Joe Cordina fight held?
The bout is scheduled to take place at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff, which is located in Wales.
Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov vs Joe Cordina Fight Preview
Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov is prepared to show that he is a deserving champion, while Joe Cordina is eager to retrieve the title that he never should have given up in the first place. When Rakhimov faces the previous IBF featherweight champion on April 22, he will have to sacrifice something in order to successfully defend his championship.
Rakhimov won bronze in the World University Championships in 2014 before turning professional in 2015. The native of Tajikistan fought Joseph Diaz for the IBF super featherweight championship in 2021, and the fight ended in a draw. However, the Tajik went on to win the vacant version of that title by knocking out Zelfa Barrett in November of last year.
Cordina, who won a bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games in 2014, started competing professionally in 2017. He captured the lightweight championship of the Commonwealth in 2018, as well as the highly sought-after British championship the following year 2023.
In June, the Welsh fighter won the IBF super featherweight championship after claiming it with a spectacular knockout victory over Kenichi Ogawa in the second round. However, he withdrew from his first defence, which was supposed to be against Rakhimov, owing to a significant hand injury, and the IBF stripped him of his title as a result.
Now that Cordina has made a full recovery from surgery, he is more determined than ever to reclaim the championship he feels is rightfully his.
Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov vs Joe Cordina Fight Card
- Joe Cordina takes on Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov in order to win the IBF super featherweight title currently held by Rakhimov.
- Sandy Ryan and Marie-Pier Houle will square off in a fight for the unclaimed WBO women’s welterweight championship.
- Gavin Gwynne and Craig Woodruff will be fighting for the lightweight title held by Gwynne.
- Zelfa Barrett vs. Jason Sanchez, super featherweight
- Jordan Thompson vs. Luke Watkins, Cruiserweight
- Skye Nicholson and Linda Laura Lecca will battle it out in the women’s featherweight division.
- Karan Gill vs. Brandon Scott in the super featherweight division
- Super featherweight contest between Nathan Howells and Jahfieus Faur
- light heavyweight match between Sammy Lee and Juris Zundovskis
- heavyweight match between Miles Gordon-Darby and Phil Williams